We have heard a lot about the harsh effects of ultraviolet rays and how sunlight damages the skin. Many discussions are going on based on the effects of the sun on the skin. After understanding how these harsh UV rays affect the skin, none of us want to get exposed to the sun. Excessive exposure to the sun can indeed cause much damage to the skin; mainly, it accelerates the aging process or leads to worst skin conditions like skin cancer. On the contrary, sunlight benefits your skin in many ways. Yes, a daily dose of moderate sunlight positively affects the skin. Let's take a look at how sunlight benefits your skin;
Benefits of Sunlight for Skin
This bright light from the sun is highly beneficial to health and skin if taken in moderation. Take a glance at a few of its benefits;
- Boosts Vitamin D: Sunlight can help boost the Vitamin D levels in our body. It is indeed one of the best natural sources of Vitamin D. Besides keeping our body healthy, Vitamin D also contributes greatly to the health of our skin.
- Improves certain skin conditions: The right amount of sun exposure can significantly improve certain skin conditions like acne, psoriasis, eczema, etc.
- Provides glowing skin: We often hear about the side effects of sun rays. At the same time, moderate sun exposure will give a healthy glow to the face. Besides, it also improves heart health and lowers blood pressure which in turn helps you look and feel better.
- Keeps acne under control: As we all know, we get the best source of Vitamin D from the sun. This essential vitamin is rich in anti-microbial properties, which help control acne and anti-inflammatory properties that help reduce the redness and puffiness related to acne.
- Improves skin health: Stress, depression, and other mental health issues can aggravate or cause numerous skin problems. Sunlight is always appealing, especially in the morning; it can brighten the mornings. Similarly, sunlight can help boost serotonin, a neurotransmitter hormone often known as the brain's "feel-good" chemicals. Low serotonin levels can affect the mood leading to mental health conditions like depression or anxiety, which has a greater impact on the skin. Hence, on the days when you are feeling low, get some fresh and bright sunlight to refresh your mood and keep the skin and mind healthy.
- You get better sleep: As mentioned, exposure to the right amount of sunlight increases serotonin, which is essential to balance the mood and keep us relaxed and focused. Serotonin is involved in producing melatonin, a hormone that plays a vital role in the natural sleep-wake cycle. When the serotonin levels in our body are intact, melatonin will be perfect too. This, in turn, helps you sleep better, which is vital for healthy skin and body.
How Much Sunlight is needed for Healthy Skin?
Sunlight is beneficial for skin and health. However, a little excess can also lead to numerous skin problems. You don't need to spend a long time under the sun; just twelve to fifteen minutes is more than enough.
Preventive Measures to Follow Before Going Out in the Sun
As mentioned getting the right dose of sunlight has numerous benefits for the skin. However, certain preventive measures have to be followed before stepping out in the sun to protect the skin from the harsh UV rays;
- Almost all dermatologists advise applying sunscreen to the skin with a minimum of SPF 30 before stepping out of the house.
- It is best to avoid sun exposure between 10 a.m. and 2 p.m., as the sun's rays are most intense.
- Prefer clothes that cover the skin exposed to the sun; long-sleeved tops or shirts will be a better option.
Natural sunlight is important to improve your mood, treat skin conditions, and boost vitamin D. However, anything in excess is dangerous; the same applies to sunlight too. Whether to uplift the mood or to get that natural glow on the skin, ensure that your body and skin receive adequate sunlight. Keep yourself updated about the latest skincare trends and beauty secrets by following Savarnas Mantra®.