Who doesn't love those yummy, delicious and tempting sweets? Indeed, sweets are a major part of our daily diet. We add a lot of sugar to what we eat and drink. So it might come as a surprise to hear that they can actually cause acne, but it's true. Cutting sugar or sweets completely from the diet is hard, but you must also admit that sweets aren't skin-friendly. It is one of the main reasons why your skin is breaking out frequently. This post will help you know how eating sweets or consuming more sugar affects your skin and the ways to control it; Scroll down;
How do sweets affect your skin?
According to dermatologists, people who consume more sugar are more likely to get acne on the skin. Sweets or foods containing high sugar increase insulin and blood sugar levels which, in turn causes inflammation in the body- resulting in breakouts and other skin problems.
It's not only sweets or sugar. There are many other foods like pasta, white bread, white rice, soda, candies etc., which can convert the food into sugar. Likewise, foods that contain sugar as the major ingredient are also high in glycemic index. And so, when consumed, they are converted to glucose causing a rise in insulin levels.
How does an increased sugar level affect the skin?
It is not only sweets or sugar that causes acne. There are many other factors like lifestyle, products you use and even medical conditions that affect skin health. But according to various studies, people consuming more sugar are more like to get recurring acne on the skin. Let’s see how high insulin levels affect the skin;
- High insulin levels increases oil production, which causes clogged pores, the common reason for acne.
- As mentioned above, high insulin levels causes skin inflammation, making it easier for the bacteria to multiply, leading to recurring acne on the skin.
- When the insulin level increases, the body produces a hormone called androgen, which worsens the acne on the skin.
- A rise in insulin levels can trigger some of the skin conditions like psoriasis rosacea and eczema.
- Accelerates the process of skin aging
Let's have a look at some of the skin problems that occur on the skin due to a high intake of sugar;
If you take too much sugar in your diet, it may cause various skin concerns; some of them can be
- Dark circles
- Skin inflammations
- Dull and tired-looking skin
- Puffy and loose skin
Though there are various causes of acne on the skin, a high intake of sweets/sugar is the major culprit, which causes various skin and health concerns.
Tips to Control the Skin Concerns caused By Sugar Intake
It is known to all that there is a strong connection between what you eat and your skin. However, it's not practically possible to cut down sugar and sweets from your daily diet, especially if you have a sweet tooth. A scoop of ice cream indeed gives you much happiness but, on the contrary, leaves your skin with acne breakouts. In order to keep the skin problem-free and healthy your focus should be on skincare from within. Making healthy choices in terms of food can keep you and your skin healthy. Taking sugar in moderation can bring a tremendous improvement in your skin health. Let's see how to control it;
- Increase water intake: As a part of increasing more liquid in the diet, most of us prefer fruit juices and soft drinks. But, no, these are harming your skin- include more water instead. You can also try green tea added with a few drops of lime and a teaspoon of honey, the smartest choice for your skin and health.
- Include healthy food in your diet:Consider foods with low glycemic index in your daily diet and cut down on high GI food, especially junk.
- Avoid taking sweets during the night:The way to keep your skin free of acne is to shift your sugar intake to morning hours because sugar consumed during nighttime is more harmful because of the metabolic activities.
- Substitute sweets with healthier food: When you want to cut down on sugar, you can replace food rich in sugar with fiber-rich foods like nuts, seeds, fruits, pulses etc.
An Effective skincare:
Making necessary changes in the daily diet can help control many skin problems, mainly acne. Likewise, following proper skincare that works on your skin is essential. A skincare routine with natural skincare products does wonders on your skin and contributes the most to maintaining healthy skin.
Reducing the amount of sugar and sweets might seem quite difficult, but consuming those yummy and delicious sweets moderately can bring a world of difference to your skin health. So, plan a diet with low or moderate sugar to maintain a healthy and beautiful skin.