Do you have a super- obsession with your skin? It's time to take action and check for obsessive-compulsive disorder. Today, in this article, we are going to talk about-” Skin Picking Disorder.” Skin Picking Disorder is a chronic mental disorder that is also called “Dermatillomania.” It is one of the OCD problems - Obsessive Compulsive Disorder.”
What is the incidence of Skin Picking Disorder?
The incidence of Skin Picking Disorder occurs mostly in females than males. It is more common in adolescence than in adults and starts at the onset of puberty.
What are the causes of Skin Picking Disorder?
The major factors which influence Skin Picking Disorder are as follows-
- Mental obsession
- Changes in brain structure
- Stress and anxiety
- Skin issues like acne
What actually causes Skin Picking Disorder is unknown. The major contributing factor to skin picking disorder is skin problems like acne where you try to pick it in order to get rid of it. This can cause and result in many complications not only affecting the skin but also mental health.
What are the symptoms of Skin Picking Disorder?
Skin Picking Disorder is Body Focussed Repetitive Behavior(BFRB)
Skin picking disorder is characterized by repeated picking of one’s skin. This results in broken and swollen skin causing disruption of normal life. It causes-
- Damage to the skin
- Disruption of the skin barrier
- Infection of the skin due to continuous picking
- Minor skin irregularities
- Unhealthy skin
- Different types of lesions such as open wounds, blisters, and scabs
- Scars and post-picking marks
- Mental issues with picking behaviors
- Pick, pull and tear unhealthy skin
- Social impairment
What are the complications of Skin Picking Disorder?
The complications of Skin Picking Disorder are as follows-
- Infection of skin
- Repeated behavior may turn into chronic
- Significant distress or impairment
- Psychiatric disorder
Is there any solution for Skin Picking Disorder?
There are many solutions that you can use to treat Skin Picking Disorder. The major solutions for Skin Picking Disorder are as follows-
- Counseling sessions
- Skin treatment
- Keeping yourself occupied
- Keeping mind away from the Skin Picking Disorder
- Exercise, Yoga, and Meditation can help
- Developing good habits
- Refraining from touching your skin
- Sanitizing your hands frequently
The major reason and causative factor for impairment of Skin Picking Disorder is to get rid of imperfection. It is repetitive obsessive behavior to be perfect. It may last for a few minutes to several hours with a period of remission.
Prevention is better than cure for Skin Picking Disorder
The main solution to treat Skin Picking Disorder is “Prevention.” We can achieve prevention only by keeping skin health at its best. Here are some skincare solutions to keep skin at its best-
- Wake up early in the morning and sleep well for 8 hours at night
- Get habituated to a disciplined life
- Follow a skincare routine regularly with the CTM procedure
- Ensure to use an exfoliator or scrub to keep blackheads and whiteheads at bay
- Drink plenty of water and keep yourself hydrated
- Use serum and moisturizer to hydrate your skin
- Prevent touching your nose, mouth and skin repeatedly
- Touch your skin only when applying skincare products
- Go out in fresh air and let your skin breathe
- Switch to natural products
- Switch to a minimalist skincare routine
It is important to take care of your skin daily and make it a habit. Keep an alarm that reminds you to schedule your morning and night skincare routine. Switch to healthy habits always. Love the mirror and the mirror will love you back!!!