Dry patches can be complicated to deal with. Rough bumpy skin has an uneven texture and feels coarse to the touch. Rough uneven textured skin is a result of dryness or the build-up of dead skin cells. So, the question arises- “How to get rid of dry patches on the skin?“ A combination of exfoliation and hydration can help get rid of rough bumpy skin.
So, let us give you some insights into the causes and symptoms of dry patches on the skin along with some quick natural skincare solutions.
What Causes Rough And Dry Skin Patches?
Rough bumpy skin can appear on the face and body which causes scaly skin and uneven skin tone. This damages the skin barrier which protects the skin. The skin may feel rough to the touch mainly due to dryness and the build-up of dead skin.
Let us not forget that the skin tends to renew itself. However, this renewing ability of the skin slows down with age. The skin may appear scaly or flaky due to dryness of the skin. The dry rough skin may be caused due to following reasons-
- Lack of moisturization
- Sun exposure
- Any hormonal imbalances like diabetes or thyroid issues
- Weakened skin immunity
- Defective in skin functioning
- Weakened skin barrier protection
- Skin conditions like eczema or psoriasis
- Using harsh soap or detergents
- Long hot showers
- Rough fabric
- Tight clothing causes friction
- Vigorous scrubbing and over-exfoliation
Well, the list is endless. Knowing the causative factor can help us in eliminating it to treat the problem from the root cause.
Rough Skin By Location
Let us check out how rough skin can affect the different areas of the face and body which can damage the skin.
- Face - Persistent rough skin may occur around the nose, eyebrows, hairline, ears, and neck. This may result in thick scales with itching and dry skin.
- Hands - Rough hands can be caused due to dry skin. The skin of the hands is devoid of oil or sweat glands which may lead to over-dryness. Frequent hand washing or contact with chemicals like detergents may also cause dry patches on the skin.
- Feet - Feet also have a limited number of oil glands which causes dryness and scaliness. Rough skin is accompanied by the friction of shoes or cracked heels which may result from dry skin.
- Arms & Elbows - This may result from several causes like dermatitis and eczema.
- Neck -This may occur due to lack of moisturization or sun damage when we tend to neglect the skin on the neck.
Skincare routine for dry patches on the skin
Dry patches or rough spots can be treated with various skincare products which help in effectively nourishing the skin. Some of the best skincare solutions which can be used for treating dry patches effectively on the skin are as follows-
1. Natural elements of Hyaluronic acid
Hyaluronic acid is a beneficial hydrating ingredient that helps draw moisture from the environment into the skin.
2. Natural elements of ceramides
The ceramides help in restoring the skin barrier to enhance the skin protection functioning for better healthy skin.
3. Natural elements of salicylic acid and lactic acid
The natural elements of salicylic acid and lactic acid help in encouraging the shedding of dead skin which in turn improves the texture of bumpy skin.
The natural elements of niacinamide work as a soothing ingredient to keep the skin comfortable and healthy. This keeps dryness, itching, and flakiness at bay.
Preventive solutions for dry rough patches on the skin
The following measures can be taken to keep skin healthy and moist-
- Gently wash your face twice a day with a natural cleanser
- Moisturize your skin after washing your face
- Use fragrance-free and alcohol-free skin care products
- Moisturization should be done on slightly dampen skin
- Use lukewarm water and limit hot water showers
- Use allergen-free soap and detergent
- Use humidifier
- Choose fabrics that are soft on your skin