There are so many remedies for acne out there in the market, that we often get confused as to which one is the most suitable for us. What is the strongest treatment for acne? The research is endless. But here is one that may be more effective than others — acne spot treatment.
The appearance of pimples, acne scars, and blemishes is undoubtedly annoying. And many serums and creams may help overcome it. But spot treatments are more targeted, as they are only applied to the affected area, and work focusing on problems like inflammation, clogged pores, and skin soothing. To know more about the best and effective acne spot treatments, read on.
How does Acne Spot Treatment Work?
Most of these spot treatments come in cream, gel, lotion, or ointment form. They work under the influence of a couple of potent ingredients that target various problems on your acne-affected skin:
- They help unclog inflamed pores.
- They help dry out excess oils and clear harmful bacteria.
- They help soothe skin irritation, reduce inflammation and settle the breakout.
- Thus, acne spot treatments reduce pain, swelling, and redness to give you relief.
Ingredients to Look for in Best Acne Spot Treatments:
There are a few ingredients that work on acne, pimples, and blemish control. Mainly they are drying agents, anti-bacterial in nature, or perform by soothing your irritated skin. When buying an acne spot treatment, make sure you read the labels carefully and choose the perfect combination of ingredients so that you can get the most out of it.
Benzoyl Peroxide, an ingredient that is probably the most common in acne control, makes for a great active ingredient in spot treatments. It is found in most OTC ointments as it is great in reducing skin inflammation and flushing out acne-causing bacteria from the pores. It is also drying in nature, so excess oils may be targeted. The only drawback is that your skin may dry up as a result. Hence, you must limit your use to once or twice a day, and apply a suitable moisturizer afterwards.
- Don’t apply Benzoyl peroxide creams under or over tretinoin (Retin-A) as this combo is not effective.
- Benzoyl peroxide is also a bleaching agent, so make sure to keep it away from clothes, towels, and fabrics.
A kind of beta hydroxy acid, Salicylic acid is also quite popular among the acne-fighting lot. This is because salicylic acid leads the charge in clearing out clogged pores, as well as works amazingly well on drying up pustules like whiteheads and pimples. It is also known to dilute oils and reduce the buildup and clogging of pores.
This one is nature’s own astringent. Native Americans used it to heal skin ailments and soothe the skin. But its strength lies in constricting pores, which greatly benefits acne-prone skin. Witch hazel helps keep your pores from collecting dirt and oils, hence preventing more acne inflammation. Usually, spot treatments use witch hazel to protect your acne spots from further breakouts. Many cleansers and face washes for acne-control also use witch hazel.
Other ingredients in Acne Spot Treatment:
- Sulfur: It helps dry out pimples and also reduces inflammation
- Menthol: It is an organic compound derived from mint oil. It helps in soothing irritated skin and pores.
- Glycolic Acid: This acid helps clear out dead skin cells and reveal the new layer.
- Differin: It works on clearing out pores and exfoliating the skin.
How to Use Acne Spot Treatment?
- Use a pea-sized amount on your acne/pimple/ affected area only.
- Apply 1-2 times a day or as specified on the label.
- Don’t rinse off, but wait a few hours to let it penetrate fully.
- Be careful not to apply it too often (more than twice a day) as they can be drying and painful to the skin when used in excess.
- Don't apply the cream to non-affected areas.
The biggest takeaway from the above information is — apply your acne spot treatment only on the affected area, and in control. To help you further in your acne and blemish treatment, here is the Savarnas Mantra® Natural Blemish Treatment.
Savarnas Mantra® Natural Blemish Treatment
An effective treatment for acne, pimples, or blemishes, this product is rich in some of the best acne-control ingredients. They include Salicylic Acid, Witch Hazel, Menthol, and Glycolic Acid. These are quite potent in reducing inflammation, clearing out pores, and helping settle your breakouts. They may also help control melanin production in the skin and help you achieve an even skin tone.
- This Blemish Treatment may help you reduce irritation and inflammation of the skin.
- Helps in unclogging pores and drying out excess oils.
- Has a pimple-zapping formula.
- Helps control open pores, dark spots, and hyper-pigmentation too.
- It is quite handy and comes with an applicator. This makes it easy to apply to small areas.
- You can also apply this blemish treatment under your makeup.
- It is cruelty-free and made from the highest quality ingredients.