Most of us are familiar with moisturizers, serums, even cleansers. But do we know much about toners? What are they? How are they used? Why are they used? Is it really necessary to use? Many women believe that toners are optional, or are used only by those models who have an elaborate skincare routine. That is not completely true. A toner is quite necessary in skincare. Its use and benefits are myriad, and today we are going to tell you all about it. Because really, toner is no more a choice but a necessity for skincare.
What Exactly is a Skin Toner?
A skin toner is a water-based makeup and skincare product that helps you clean any residue of makeup, oils, and dirt, as well as prepares your skin to absorb any future products. Toner may also help close pores, soften the skin, and brighten its appearance.
Types of Toners
- Astringent Toner
An astringent toner is specifically designed to serve the oily, acne-prone, and combination skin types. Its main function is to gently dry out excess oils, clean the pores, and tighten them. This helps prevent any new dirt or bacteria from entering.
- Balancing Toner
A balancing toner, as the name suggests, balances the pH of your skin. This type of toner is generally recommended for the sensitive and dry skin type, but all skins benefit from it.
Benefits of a Toner
The main benefit of a toner is prepping the skin so that it can absorb moisturizers, creams, serums, etc well. But then as per its added ingredients, you also get more benefits. Some toners have ingredients that balance the skin’s pH, while others prevent acne or tighten pores.
Season-wise, toners may change. So in winter, you may need a hydrosol spritz to seal some extra moisture, while in summer you may need a toner that deep cleanses and tightens the pores.
Other sundry benefits of toner are:
- Minimizing the appearance of pores
The endgame is getting smooth and even complexion, without visible open pores. Toners help to achieve that by tightening your pores. This also helps make your skin look polished, luminous, and flawless.
- It May Temporarily Tighten the Skin
A facial toner may make your skin appear tight and firm temporarily. You can use it twice a day in your makeup and skincare routine to get best results.
- 3. Protection
Some toners may also provide your skin protection from environmental stressors like toxins, dust, dirt, etc.
Just one little spritz over your face and you feel like you have woken up. That’s the power of a good facial toner, especially if it has soothing ingredients like rose water or rosehip seed oil.
- Skin Soothing
Toners calm the skin, soothe it, especially if your skin has been constantly exposed to treatments or harsh chemicals. You can also settle any redness or irritation temporally if you want to look flawless and apply makeup.
- Helps Clean Makeup & OIl
When used directly after a cleanser, toner helps to clean off any makeup residue and leftover oils.
- Helps Retain Moisture
A good facial toner will help your skin retain moisture. Like rose water, which helps in hydrating the skin and increases absorption of a moisturizer.
How to Use Toner
- Cleanse your face using a combination of face wash and cleanser, or either one of them (depending on your skin type and requirements).
- While your face is still damp, gently pat the toner on your skin with your hands or cotton pad.
- Give it a minute to settle.
- Then you can apply your serum, moisturizer, and sunscreen. Or any other makeup.
Best Facial Toner for You
When choosing the ideal facial toner, you should keep a few things in mind:
- Skin type: If you have acne-prone or oily skin then choose an astringent toner, that has pore-tightening agents, and dries excess oils. Dry skin benefits from moisturizing toners that also balance the skin’s pH.
- Make sure that your toner is alcohol-free, as it is known to dry the skin, irritate it, and cause inflammation.
- Salicylic acid-free toner is also better, as salicylic acid is known for being harsh on the skin.
- Benzoyl Peroxide is good in acne-control products but choose a toner that doesn’t have this ingredient as it is too intense for the skin at this stage in your skincare routine.
- Phthalate-free and paraben-free toners are better, because these chemicals are not good for your skin or body’s health.
- It is also better if you use a natural toner, so that you get all the benefits of nature without many of the harsh chemicals.
To conclude — is toner really necessary skin care? Yes. But you can make it even better by using natural toners. At Savarnas Mantra, we make such natural toners for the benefit of your delicate skin and serve you with a diverse range.
Savarnas Mantra® Natural CoQ10 Age Defying Toner
This natural toner helps you replenish CoQ10 (a natural antioxidant) in your skin. It is great for aging skin. With its botanical extracts of cucumber, orange and papaya, this toner hydrates as well as balances your skin’s pH.
Savarnas Mantra® Natural Herbal Toner
As the name suggests, this toner is enriched with a number of herbal extracts — Comfrey Leaf, HopsYarrow Extract, Lavender etc. Add to that astringents like witch hazel, and you have amazing benefits. This toner helps you tighten pores, remove oils and dirt, as well as maintain the skin pH.
Savarnas Mantra® Natural Hydrating Seaweed Toner
A toner for all skin types, this one nourishes, protects and helps in skin repair. A great product to soothe irritated skin.