If you are not satisfied with the skin toner that you use, and keep switching it, then you need to try a natural option just like I did. By using the best toner for your skin type whether it is oily, dry, mature, or sensitive, you can quickly sidestep many problems. I use a toner as it allows my skin to recover quickly after removing heavy makeup or sunscreen. Since the toner also works to constrict the pores of my skin, oil and debris are less likely to buildup and create blockages. Not surprisingly, I am just one of the many fans of skin toners as they provide multiple benefits, and are quickly becoming a vital part of a skin care routine.
For years, I used DIY skin toners created at home but have since switched to natural toners. As I made the switch, I found that natural toners contain ingredients that I have used for decades. So, if you want to find a toner that has lemon extract or chamomile that you love using on your skin, continue reading. I have lined up tips and tricks for finding and using natural toners and even included some of the knowledge I have accumulated over the years.
What is a skin toner?
Skin toners are not new entrants to a skincare routine. They were initially used to “tone” the skin after washing it with soap and water hence they are referred to as a “toner.” In a modern skincare routine, cleansers do a lot of the heavy lifting in terms of cleaning the skin and the position of the toner has taken a hit. But the toner is not completely absent from a skincare routine and the last few years have seen its popularity rise.
When should you use a skin toner?
Yes, there is space for toners in your skincare routine and they should ideally be used after you have removed a cleanser. A toner removes any leftovers of the cleanser from your skin and helps return it to its natural state. Experts even recommend that it be used within a minute of removing the cleanser so you don’t have to worry about your skin being damp when you apply the toner. As your skin returns to its normal pH balance and is freed from cleanser, the toner will also cause pores to become smaller and your skin appears smoother. Skin toners can also be used in your morning and evening skincare routine, without any problem.
Tips and tricks you should know when using a skin toner
- There is no unspoken or unwritten rule that you should only apply a toner to the skin of your face. It can be used on the skin of your neck, décolletage, and areas where you have applied cleanser to remove makeup.
- You can apply skin toner as a spray as it spreads easily and dries fast.
- If you want to apply the toner with your hand use your palm to press it into your skin.
- Soaking a cotton pad/ball with toner and then applying it to the skin using a circular motion is still the most popular method and the easiest.
- Even if are using a mild natural formulation or a skin toner without parabens do not apply it on the skin surrounding your eyes as the area is extra sensitive and can dry out causing fine lines and wrinkles to appear.
- When using a natural herbal toner, you need to follow it up with a serum or moisturizer. In fact, by applying moisturizer/serum on skin that is damp with toner will keep it active for longer and hydration will be locked in. Toners also help prepare skin, and ensure that benefits of moisturizers and serums are absorbed easily.
- Look out for natural skin toners without parabens such as the Savarnas Mantra® Natural CoQ10 Age Defying Toner as it has a cutting-edge formula. In this toner the CoQ10 is delivered via a nanoemulsion that penetrates quickly, deeply and replenishes levels of this coenzyme that is depleted as your age.
- Do not hesitate to add a dab of toner directly onto blemishes and acne as it will help them heal faster.
Tips for getting the right natural toner to match your skin type
Before buying a toner, you should know what type of skin you have. Here are some tips you can use to match a toner to your skin type.
- Toners such as Savarnas Mantra® Natural Herbal Toner which have Witch-Hazel extract, are ideal for oily skin but also deliver moisturization to keep essential oils from drying out. When you use the right natural skin toners for oily skin it will importantly help reduce acne breakouts.
- If your skin’s pores appear large, using a toner that contains glycolic acid is the best choice.
- Plant-based toners with extracts of Licorice Root or Seaweed are perfect for those with sensitive skin as they have a soothing effect.
- Those who have dull or drying skin should opt for natural skin toners for dry skin which have ingredients that gently remove dead skin cells and brighten your complexion. A natural hydrating toner with aloe vera is ideal for dry skin as it provides much needed moisture and calms inflammation.
- Skin that is showing signs of aging, benefits from toners that have CoQ10 alternatively know as Coenzyme Q10, hyaluronic acid and antioxidants. Such toners help heal signs of aging such as fine lines and wrinkles.
Benefits of using a natural skin toner
- Natural paraben free toners are created with plant-based ingredients such as lemon extract and comfrey. However, these toners are much more potent than homemade versions.
- Natural skin toners are alcohol free formulations, are mild on the skin and do not cause allergic reactions.
- The best natural face toners have ingredients that help rejuvenate aging skin and can be included in an anti-aging skin care routine in the morning and evening.
- Natural skin toners help detoxify the skin as they do not have chemicals. Additionally, if a natural skin toner without parabens is used, it ensures that your body remains healthier and the chances of various chemicals interacting and causing allergies are minimized.
Savarnas Mantra® creates a unique range of natural skin toners free of parabens and chemicals. Each of these potent skin toners are created with a blend of natural and botanical ingredients and supply a host of benefits when used. The world is quickly discovering the benefits of natural skin toners so go ahead and use the tips, tricks and information given above to make the right choice.