Following routine skincare is a must to keep the largest organ in our body healthy and protected from skin problems. There are different types of skin, among which oily skin is the one that is more prone to acne. Though we all have oil on our skin, people with oily skin have a greasier coating on the skin than other skin types. It is because of the excess oil production by the oil-producing glands known as the sebaceous glands. And so, people with oily skin types need to take proper care of their skin to protect and balance it. We’ve rounded up some of the most commonly asked questions about oily skin; they are as follows:
How to identify whether you have oily skin?
It’s quite easy! You can identify whether you have oily skin by conducting a small test. All you have to do is wash your face, pat it dry and leave it bare for twenty to thirty minutes. If your skin appears to shine and feels greasy, especially around the chin, nose and forehead (T-Zone), understand that your skin type is oily.
What is the best care that you can give for oily skin?
The best way to care an oily skin is; to keep them clean. On the other hand, you should not over-wash your face too; using a mild, oil-free cleanser, wash your face twice daily.
Is oily skin good or bad?
Compared to dry skin, oily skin is good as it staves off wrinkles. Because the presence of oil on the skin keeps them smooth and moist, giving no chance for wrinkles and fine lines. Not only that, oily skin is more beneficial in winters as it can lock in moisture, preventing dryness or flakiness. Besides, it also safeguards the skin against wind, sun and pollution.
Do oily skin types need moisturizers?
There is often confusion about using moisturizer on oily skin. Most people even think that oily skin doesn’t need a moisturizer. But no, it is a must to moisturize your oily skin as it’s essential to keep the skin hydrated. One thing to keep in mind when choosing moisturizers for oily is to use the ones that are bespoke for oily skin.
What is the best skincare to follow for oily skin?
- Cleanse your skin with a gentle cleanser: Start your skincare routine with cleansing, preferably with a gentle water-based cleanser, as it helps remove the impurities and dirt off the skin without clogging the pores. If you are looking for a natural facial cleanser for your oily skin, Savarnas Mantra® Natural Wheat Cleanser will be the best bet. It keeps the skin free from impurities, dirt and oil. The natural cleanser is made with the perfect blend of coconut and sunflower oil, which helps hydrate and soothe the skin. Besides, using this natural cleanser also protects the skin from environmental stressors.
- Use an alcohol-free toner: If you ask which product is often ignored in skincare that would be definitely the toner? However, oily skin needs a toner to soothe, refresh and balance the skin’s pH levels. Toners can help remove that leftover oil, dirt or other impurities and keep the pores clear. But, while choosing a toner for oily skin, go with an alcohol-free product that is gentle and hydrating. Try Savarnas Mantra® Natural Hydrating Seaweed Toner to soothe and hydrate your skin. Infused with the benefits of seaweed extracts, the toner helps calm any irritation or redness on the skin.
- Use a facial serum: Serums can indeed help to control oil production. While choosing a serum for oily skin, avoid oil-based or heavy serums; instead, look for serums with Vitamin C, Hyaluronic acid, Salicylic acid or AHAs. Try out the 100% Natural Pure Hyaluronic Serum by Savarnas Mantra® to replenish, nourish and plump up the skin’s appearance.
- Do not skip moisturizer: Yes, moisturizing the skin is very important irrespective of the skin type. But, while looking for a moisturizer for oily skin, ensure it is oil-free or “non-comedogenic”. A lightweight natural facial moisturizer will be a great option for oily skin, especially the one using hyaluronic acid. Use Savarnas Mantra® Natural Bio Marine Moisturizer to nourish your skin with essential vitamins and minerals and to keep them hydrated without allowing the skin to dry out.
- Use sunscreen: A sunscreen is crucial to safeguard your skin from the harsh UV rays. But, the normal heavy or greasy sunscreen doesn’t work for oily skin. Always choose a gel or powder sunscreen for oily skin that can offer a matte look.
What should you avoid on oily skin?
According to experts, people with oily skin need to stay away from certain ingredients and products; some are natural oils, petroleum jelly, harsh exfoliants and alcohol-based products.
Does food make the skin oily?
Certain foods can trigger your oil glands and increase sebum production. Some are sugary foods, dairy products, salty foods, fried foods etc.
Following a proper and regular skincare routine is one of the best options to manage oily skin and protect them from breakouts. Though these guidelines can help you care for your oily skin, they are by no means a substitute for medical expertise. If you find that the skin conditions like acne are worsening, consult a dermatologist to help you determine the perfect method to protect and treat your skin.