Stubborn chronic acne can be difficult to deal with. Chronic acne is a long-term problem and needs to be taken care of from the root cause of the problem. There is a need for a holistic approach to this acne. We understand that you might have tried various solutions to treat acne. Sometimes, it might get cured too and may relapse (come back) with greater intensity and aggravation. We have come up with a holistic approach to how to get rid of stubborn chronic acne to boost your skin health.
What is acne?
Acne is an inflammatory skin disorder and condition in which there is the presence of blocked follicles or skin pores which may lead to pimples. It may occur on the face, shoulder, back, upper arms, and different parts of the body.
What is the incidence of acne?
Acne is the most common skin condition worldwide and affects many around the world. Both men and women are affected by acne. It is especially seen in puberty and adulthood when there is a spike in hormones with fluctuations. The hormonal rise stimulates the sebaceous glands to secrete more sebum and this leads to excessive oiliness causing acne. It is not a dangerous situation but may leave a scar which is embarrassing to deal with.
It affects 3 in 4 people, aged between 13 to 30 years of age.
What are the causes and risk factors of acne?
There are many causes or triggering factors of acne-
- Menstrual cycle
- Hot climate, summer weather
- Using oil-based makeup products
- Infrequent washing of face
- Consuming oily junk food
- Sedentary lifestyle
Eliminating these risk factors by making lifestyle modifications can help a great deal to reduce acne.
What are the types of acne?
The types of acne are -
- Acne vulgaris
- Acne rosacea
- Cystic acne
- Nodular acne
What is the pathogenesis of acne?
Human cells are connected to sweat glands and oil glands. Follicles connect the glands to pores. Follicles have small sacs which produce liquid. This oily liquid is called sebum which is secreted by sebaceous glands. Pimple or acne grows when follicles are blocked by build-up under the skin. Dead skin cells and sebum clump together to form a plug that blocks the follicle and leads to the formation of acne. The plug and follicle get infected with bacteria causing swelling.
The name of the bacteria causing acne is Propionibacterium acnes (P.acnes) which is live bacteria on the skin and causes infection of pimples. The severity and frequency of acne depend on this bacteria.
How to get rid of stubborn chronic acne?
Here, are some prevention and management tips to treat stubborn acne-
- Wash your face with water frequently by splashing clear water and using mild face wash twice a day.
- Do not over-exfoliate or scrub your face as this may push the infection deep down causing the further spread of infections.
- Avoid picking pimples and touching your face frequently
- Hold your mobile phone away from your face when talking as this may transfer the sebum and oiliness from one cheek to the other cheeks during a telephonic conversation.
- Wash and sanitize hands frequently before applying lotions, creams, and other skincare products.
- Clear your face accessories regularly like spectacles, earrings, and nose rings.
- Allow your skin to breathe with no makeup or minimal makeup when affected with pimples.
- For men, it is necessary to use an electric shaver or sharp safety razors while shaving. Soften the beards with soapy water before applying shaving cream
- Choose makeup products and skincare products that are natural and suitable for sensitive skin
- Avoid tight headbands, caps, and scarves and wash them regularly
- Make sure to splash some water on your face after sweating or workout
- Remove makeup before sleeping
- Use mineral-based products and avoid oily and heavy products
- Use light skincare products, especially moisturizers and serums
- Keep hair clean and dandruff free
- Wash your hair with water and mild shampoo after a workout to eliminate sebum and sweat
- Avoid extremely oily and greasy hair products
- Avoid excessive sun exposure as this produces more sebum
- Use sunscreen when exposed to skin
- Avoid anxiety and stress as this increases cortisol production and causes more oil secretion from the skin.
- Try to stay in a cool climate and avoid unnecessary heat
Acne is a common disorder of the skin. Following these tips for management and prevention can help you get rid of stubborn acne.