Our desire for radiant skin is never-ending! But as we age, the skin turns to a dull complexion due to the dead skin cells. This is where the necessity of skin exfoliating comes in. Exfoliating has now become an unavoidable part of the skincare routine. Personally, this is one of my most favorite steps in my skincare routine. I feel the skin is perfectly clean from all the debris and feels extremely refreshed. This step gives instant results –from dull and tired skin to a completely natural, fresh one. Do you want to bring back your glowing skin? Then you are at the right place. But before experimenting with something new on the skin, you must be aware of how to do it right. I can guide you with the proper methods of exfoliating and some amazing products which can slough off your dead skin with a new and radiant one.
Keep scrolling to know about exfoliation in detail and the best ways of exfoliating, which can provide an instant radiance to your skin.
What is Exfoliation?
Exfoliation is nothing but a skin-care technique of removing dead or dry skin cells from the outer layer of your skin. Our skin cells have to undergo a lot of environmental stressors. The dead cells of the skin are replaced by new skin cells by shedding off naturally. This is called as cellular turnover. If the dead skin cells are not entirely removed from the skin, it can lead to skin problems like dull skin, clogged pores, oily skin, acne, etc. Exfoliating aids in completely removing the dead cells deposited on your skin over time and make your skin look healthy.
Benefits of Skin Exfoliating:
Many skin care experts recommend including exfoliation in your skincare routine as it helps to remove dead cells and provides you with brighter and healthier skin. Let’s have a look at the benefits of exfoliating the face;
- Offers an even skin tone: By exfoliating regularly, you get to remove the dead skin cells, improves the texture of your skin, providing a smooth and even skin tone.
- It surges cell turnover: Usually, it takes an average of 28-45 days for cell turnover. Through regular exfoliation, you can boost up the cell turnover.
- Make the skin products penetrate deeper into the skin: Dead skin acts as a barrier between skin and the products. Exfoliating the skin removes the dead skin and other debris hence permitting the skincare products like moisturizers and serums to enter deeper into the skin and yield complete benefits out it.
- It helps in unclogging the pores: The dead skin seals the clogged pores filled with oil produced by the sebaceous glands, which causes acne or breakouts. If you are struggling with clogged pores, exfoliation can save your skin by removing the blockage.
Types of Exfoliation:
Generally, they are of two types Mechanical and Chemical.
Mechanical Exfoliation: Here, we use a tool, a Clarisonic brush or a washcloth, or a good face scrub which can physically remove the dead skin cells effectively from the skin.
Chemical Exfoliation: In this method, we use AHA or BHA exfoliant after the cleansing and toning process.
The best method for your skin depends on your preferences and skin type. Mechanical exfoliation is found effective and is gentle on the skin. Exfoliating with a well-formulated product is no doubt a perfect boost to your skin.
Best Ways to Exfoliate:
However, great the benefits are, overdoing can leave adverse effects on your skin. Overusing an exfoliator can cause some skin problems like skin irritation, redness, and sometimes even breakouts. Check out the steps given below to exfoliate the face in the right way;
Choose a gentle exfoliator: While choosing an exfoliator, pick one with natural ingredients and ensure that you are not exfoliating too often (not more than twice a week)
Follow the proper steps before applying: Make sure you apply the exfoliator to a clean face and when the skin is damp.
Be Gentle While Applying: Apply the exfoliator and gently spread with your fingers. Avoid rubbing harshly onto the skin.
Rinse it off: Rinse off the scrub thoroughly from the face with lukewarm water.
Keep Your Skin Moisturized: Apply a good moisturizer or a serum to keep your skin hydrated.
Easy Step-By-Step Guide for Exfoliating Your Face:
It’s not that difficult as you think. Just look through these five simple steps to know how to exfoliate your face effectively;
- To start, you need to cleanse your face with a gentle cleanser.
- Once the cleansing process is over and while your skin is still damp, take the exfoliant (a pea-sized) and apply it on your forehead, chin, and cheeks.
- The next step is to gently spread the exfoliant onto your face in a circular motion.
- Gently rub on your face for 30 seconds, and then you can wash it off with warm water.
- Now you may apply your moisturizer or serum according to the skin type and skin condition.
Right Time to Exfoliate: Less is more!
It’s a most common question, how often you should exfoliate the skin. I would say it entirely depends on your skin type.
Oily Skin: Oily skin requires a bit more than the other types. So, you can exfoliate from three to five times a week.
Sensitive Skin: You should be extra careful while exfoliating sensitive skin. You may exfoliate twice a week.
Combination Skin: It’s recommended to exfoliate two to three times a week.
Best Natural Exfoliators:
Some of the best natural skin exfoliating products is listed below;
Savarnas Mantra® Natural Fruit Exfoliant
Enriched with the goodness of fruits and honey makes it a perfect scrub for all skin types. The soothing aroma of this product makes it loved by all. If you are a newbie who wanted to try a great gentle exfoliator, then this is the product for you.
Savarnas Mantra® Natural Honey Exfoliant
The perfect combo of vitamins and minerals makes it an ideal exfoliator. Honey being the primary ingredient of this product makes it perfect choice for people with sensitive skin.