Premature Aging and How to Treat it
With time we age. That’s how nature works. But some of us age faster than the others. Some of us get grey hair sooner, start to show wrinkles while still young, begin to lose the glow of our face before others our age. This is called premature aging, when the visible signs of growing old show before we actually reach there chronologically.
Premature skin aging is a concerning issue for many around the world. It sees thousands of new products and treatments devised every day. If you are here to find answers to this problem, then buckle up. Because we are about to expand on premature aging and how to treat it.
Premature Skin Aging
- As we age, the internal processes of our body slow down. The skin’s cell turnover speed also slows, which means it doesn’t produce new cells to replace the old ones as quickly and as effectively. This leads to the older, drier, unhealthy skin to remain on the surface of the skin. This dulls our appearance.
- Another common problem as we age is that of dry skin. The skin’s ability to retain and lock moisture is not as good anymore, leading to other visible signs of aging like wrinkles, fine lines, sagging, and flaky skin. These are all normal.
- The tragedy strikes when they occur before their time. Most people begin to show some of these signs by their mid-forties or fifties. But if you are, for example, still in your 30s and seeing fine lines in the crease of your eyes or sagging in your neck area, then maybe you are a victim of premature aging.
Signs of Premature Ageing
Usually, these signs are considered premature if they are observed before you are 35.
Sagging Skin & Wrinkles
- As we age, the skin slows its collagen production. Collagen is the protein that imparts elasticity to the skin, keeps it firm, and gives it its shape.
- Press a finger in your cheek and release it. You will see it bounce gently back. This is due to collagen.
- When this protein is reduced, the skin begins to sag, and look like it is just loosely draped over the muscles of your face.
- This gives rise to wrinkles, especially in those areas of the face where muscles are used more frequently.
- Like on the forehead, and around the neck and eyes.
Dry Skin and Itching
- With age, skin’s repair mechanisms also slow, thereby thinning the skin.
- Hydration of the skin is also low, leading to dry, itchy skin, flaking, and other related problems.
Sun Spots (age spots)
- They are called age spots for a reason.
- They are flat little spots on the surface of your skin, mainly caused due to many years of sun rays exposure
- They are hyper-pigmented and darker, appearing first on your face, hands, and even forearms.
- Sunspots are signs of sun damage and tell you that your skin cannot fight it as it used to in its youth.
Thinning and Drying Lips
- With collagen production declining, your lips also lose their plump
- This makes the lips deflate and look thinner
- Oil production also goes down, making them drier. They don’t appear as naturally glossy anymore.
- A classic telltale sign of aging.
- When you start seeing hair loss in your early years like the late-20s or early-30s then it’s a definite sign.
- This means that the stem cells that trigger the growth of new hair follicles are dying.
- And that hormones in your body are changing faster than they should.
- Although, genetics also play a major role in hair loss sometimes, especially for males who have a family history of early balding.
Popping Veins in Hands
- If you see the skin on the back of your hand turn thin and papery, then it may be a sign of aging.
- The veins begin to pop, wrinkles begin to appear.
- In your 50s and 60s this is common, but not if it's happening in your early 30s.
Causes of Premature Ageing
- Smoking: it accelerates oxidation of skin cells, causes dryness and wrinkles
- Excessive Alcohol
- Poor Sleeping Habits
- Sun exposure: harmful UV rays damage the skin’s DNA, and speed up the aging process
- Bad Eating Habits
How to Treat & Manage the Signs of Premature Aging?
Treat sun damage by first starting use of a good sunscreen. This protects your skin from more harm. Exfoliation is a good way to scrub away the already sun-damaged top layer of the skin. There are also cryotherapies and chemical peels to get rid of sunspots.
Excessively dry skin is a major sign of premature aging, so make sure you treat it with a rich moisturizer that suits your skin type. It helps impart much-needed hydration to the skin by trapping it. You will see how well this works because hydrated skin instantly begins to bounce back and look radiant. This will help you look younger and fresher.
Cleanse the Skin Well
Gently clean your skin with a face wash or cleanser. This will remove old dead skin cells, makeup, pollutants, and excess oils. Clean skin goes a long way in radiating a natural glow. You feel and look younger when toxins are not weighing heavy on the skin.
Antioxidants & Peptides
Try using more antioxidant-rich products for your face. Even peptides are a good addition to your skincare regime, as they help in speeding up collagen production. There are many good moisturizers, serums, and creams that come enriched with antioxidants like Vitamin A, C, E, green tea, grape seed extract, etc. Applying antioxidants in the mornings work well as they protect your skin throughout the day.
They are Vitamin A derivatives, usually coming in ‘concentrate’ form and prescription face medicines like Renova, Retin-A, Tazorac, etc. Retinoids make you look younger by helping with signs of aging like wrinkles, fine lines, etc. They also help fade age spots, stimulate the production of new blood vessels in the skin and improve the skin’s color.
Anti-aging serums are a boon to people suffering from premature aging. They are fast-working, deep-penetrating, and show good results. Provided, the serum you choose comes from a well-reputed brand and uses authentic nourishing ingredients. We at Savarnas Mantra not only produce serums that are authentic and nourishing but also ensure that they are natural. Our active ingredients are plant-based, working wonders for anti-aging.
Two of our best anti-aging serums are:
Savarnas Mantra® Natural Red Tea Anti-oxidant Serum
This is a revolutionary product from our collection, one that delivers antioxidants and nourishment to your skin. Made from Rooibos or Red Bush plant, this serum delivers red tea extract to your skin to nourish it, smoothen it, and reduce fine lines and wrinkles.
Add to that Hyaluronic Acid, which naturally hydrates the skin to restore its plump and bouncy appearance.
Natural Vitamin C Serum fortified with Age-Defying Additives
Our age-defying additives like Vitamin C, E, B3, B5, and ferulic acid make this serum a powerful antioxidant. All these, led by the star ingredient — ’20% Vitamin C,’ boosts the skin’s natural defense system against oxidation. So you get brighter, firmer, more elastic skin. This serum should especially be used when you begin to notice premature signs of aging or get hyperpigmentation. It also benefits dehydrated skin!
So here’s our bit on premature aging. We hope you can now identify the signs, understand what is causing them, and begin to treat them at the earliest. Because premature aging is not the end of the world. In fact, it is the beginning of a new and beautiful life inning where you understand your skin better and give it more love!