Moisturising the skin has been a part of beauty and skincare regimes for a very long time. You must have heard your grandmother talk about it, seen your mother keep a tub on her vanity, even heard celebrities gush about its importance. But are you still new to this concept? Do you want to understand the ways to use a moisturizer? Then here we are, with expert tips and ways to moisturize your skin, explained in easy steps.
What is a Moisturiser?
It is a skincare product or a natural agent that imparts hydration to the skin. A moisturizer is known to increase the natural water content in our skin cells, as well as retain it by locking it in. Something as simple as milk cream moisturizes your skin, and there are also advanced, more refined moisturizers in the market today that are made for different skin types.
How to Use a Moisturizer?
Applying moisturizer is a science as well as an art. There are some rules, and then there are methods that change from person to person. So you need to perfect the art over time, using trial and error. As for the science, here are the steps on how to use moisturizer:
You cannot apply a moisturizer on dirty or exposed skin directly. Be it in the morning or the evening, start your routine by cleansing your skin. You may use a face wash first if your skin is very oily. Then take a gentle cleanser suiting your skin type and rub it over your skin. Cleanser dissolves all impurities, dirt, excess oils, etc, and cleanses your skin thoroughly.
For mornings — the cleanser removes all traces of your night products, serums, creams, etc.
For evenings — it removes all makeup residue, dust, and the day’s dirt.
A toner is a buffer. It basically calms your skin, soothing the face and settling it after a rigorous cleansing. It also cleans the last of the impurities from your pores and balances the pH. A toner is essential in prepping the skin to absorb the moisturizer. So make sure you use a toner that works for your skin type. Pat it gently all over your face and wait a minute or two.
Moisturiser is said to be the most effective when it is applied to mildly damp skin. So don’t completely wipe your face of the toner, instead, let it settle naturally. And then take a small dollop of moisturizer on your finger and dot it on your face. Rubbing in circular motions, spread it all over your face and neck. Give it a moment to settle down, and only then go for any other product.
As we mentioned above, some steps are like rules, and you need to follow them regularly. While others are art, you need to perfect them by seeing how frequently you need them. Exfoliation and Mask come under that category.
Some experts suggest exfoliating every day. But you may do it twice or thrice a week, depending on your skin type, the season, and other factors. So figure out for yourself and exfoliate after cleansing your face. Then follow the other steps. If you wish to do it every day, then instead of using a chemical exfoliant daily, you can use a washcloth to scrub mechanically. And then once or twice a week use a good chemical exfoliant.
Exfoliating helps the moisturizer penetrate better
An intense hydrating mask once in a while supports the job of your moisturizer. You get to pamper your skin and nourish it with hydrating serums, ingredients, and cooling agents. Again, this step is optional as it is not possible to do it every day. Neither is it feasible. So choose one day of the week and apply a nourishing mask suiting your skin type.
Ways to Moisturise your Skin
Moisturizing overnight works wonders for your skin, especially if you have dry skin. It is recommended by most dermatologists, with special overnight creams, serums, and even lotions. You can use night creams, hydrating night serums, or your plain everyday moisturizer.
- If you suffer from premature aging, then moisturizing at night helps in reducing the signs like wrinkles and fine lines. Choose a product that is rich in antioxidants, Vitamin E, C, and retinol for this.
- Another way to moisturize at night is to sleep with an overnight mask on. If the season is too dry and your skin is dull, then this works wonders to restore your glow.
- Finally, sleep itself is a loving moisturizer. So get a good night’s sleep.
- On the Go
This is for those who are always traveling, living out of suitcases, wandering out all the time. Moisturizing on the go is pretty easy, you just need to take care of a few things. Namely:
- Always wash your face before moisturizing it. If you cannot find water to wash it then use wet wipes to clean as much as you can.
- Moisturize with a lightweight and quick-absorbing product so that it doesn’t mix with sweat, clog pores or make your skin feel heavy.
- Apply sunscreen without fail after moisturizing to protect you from the sun.
- Carry a travel-size moisturizer in your bag, always.
- Without Product
That’s right, you can moisturize your skin without using a product. It is not very efficient or highly effective, but it supplements the work of your moisturizer. These techniques mainly help your skin retain moisture and prevent dehydration:
- Drink loads of water
- Eat fruits with high water content — cucumber, watermelons, musk melons, lettuce, etc
- Cut down on your salt intake
- Exercise regularly
- Quit smoking and reduce your alcohol consumption
- Limit your caffeine intake, and drink water before and after having a coffee
- Practice mediation and other techniques to reduce stress
To moisturize naturally, you can either use the raw ingredients found in your kitchen or choose a natural moisturizer. We suggest you go for the latter, as raw ingredients like aloe vera, milk, milk cream, or honey may impart moisture to your skin, but they take very long to work. Instead, use a good natural moisturizer from a reputed brand, as it is made from natural ingredients and expert formulae.
If you wish to check out natural moisturizers, then go through the wide collection from Savarnas Mantra:
- Savarnas Mantra® Natural BioMarine Moisturiser
A natural moisturizer made with amazing hydrating ingredients like brown sea algae, Ascophyllum Nodosum Extract, and hyaluronic acid — this one transforms desert-dry skin into supple and soft. The seaweed extracts enhance your skin’s ability to retain and balance moisture, while also building an age-defying barrier.
- Savarnas Mantra® Natural Ultimate Nourishing Hyaluronic Moisturizer
This moisturizer is best for drier seasons like autumn and winter, as it is enriched with hyaluronic acid and Squalane. Both these ingredients are potent in hydrating the skin deeply by restoring the skin’s natural moisture. The moisturizer is quick-absorbing and lightweight, supplying essential nutrients to your skin.
- If you have dry skin then choose a heavy and rich moisturizer, preferably in creamy form.
- For oily skin, it is best to go for lightweight and quick-absorbing formulas that are water-based.
- If you have acne-prone skin then search for a non-comedogenic moisturizer so that it doesn’t clog your pores.
- Some of the best ingredients in moisturizers are glycerin, ceramides, hyaluronic acid, and peptides. So look for products with one or more of these.
- A way to save some money is to use a moisturizer with SPF so that you can double it up as
- If you have mature or aging skin then choose moisturizers rich in Vitamin C, E, and retinol, as they stimulate collagen production and improve fine lines and wrinkles.
- Don’t make a rigid routine of moisturizing, change it up with seasons and weather. For eg., you may need to moisturize only once in summer but thrice in winter.
- Whenever you start using a new brand, do a patch test. This avoids any breakouts or allergic reactions popping on your face.
It’s not so difficult to moisturize your skin now, is it? Just find the right kind of product for your skin type, make sure it doesn’t cause any reaction, and begin a daily moisturizing routine. Build it into your own personalized ritual over time, and you will feel your skin becoming soft, supple, healthy, and glowing. Then maybe one day, you will be helping someone with expert tips and ways to moisturize their skin!